Differentiating between a SHE File and a SHE Plan
- November 10th, 2009
There is a common misperception that the SHE File and the SHE Plan is one and the same thing. This is incorrect. The SHE Plan forms part of the SHE File and therefore the content of the two is different.
A SHE File should consist of the following in terms of content (guideline only):
- Site Plan Schedule
- Safety Plan
- Fall Protection Plan
- Safety Specification
2. General Admin Requirements:
- Common Vocabulary – A typical list of abbreviations used.
- Notification to Dept. of Labour – Notification to Dept. of Labour required within 7-days of award of contract.
- Company Safety Policy – To be signed by the CEO.
- Organogramme – Generic version included as a guideline. Site specific organizational structures are recommended.
- Site Start-up Checklist – A guideline on items to be considered when starting up the construction site and activities.
- Schedule D – Notice in Respect of Machinery.
- Site Safety Rules – Used to induct all new employees on site.
- Safety Induction – Used to induct all new employees on site.
- Toolbox talk proforma – This is a blank format of the toolbox talk.
- Ten Commandments of Safety – A brief list of rules to abide by. Used for awareness and induction.
- Emergency Tel. Numbers – Must be completed at site level for the emergency services within the area.
- Hot work permit – Any work involving open flame, welding etc, in explosive environments or confined spaces requires an assessment of the conditions and a permit to proceed to ensure all the necessary safety precautions have been considered.
- Formwork repair guide – To be read in conjunction with the scaffold inspection appointments and should be referred to when inspection scaffolding.
- Lock-out request form – Work required on equipment whether electrical charged or mechanical in operation, requires and assessment and permit where the risk of being put in motion may be undetected, then the lock-out is required.
3. Appointment Documents
- Legal & Other Appointments applicable to your site and area of operations
4. Risk Assessments
- Risk assessment proforma
- Site Risk Identification sheet
- Planned Job Observation
- Hazardous Task Identification
- RA Training attendance
- Risk Assessment Road Map
- Example of Risk Assessment
- Example of Hazardous Task Identification
- Example of Site Risk Identification
- Training Needs Analysis
- Training Attendance Register
- Training Certificates
6. Health & Safety Committee
- Site Safety Personnel
- Safety Committee Agenda
- Meeting Attendance Register
- Safety Committee Minutes
- Registers applicable to the site operations
8. Hazardous Substances
- HAZCHEM Schedule
- MSDS as per Hazardous Chemical used
9. Road Management
- Traffic Officer
- Stop go Operator
10. Incident Management
- Incident Reporting Procedure
- Letter of Good Standing
- Employers report of an Incident
- Resumption Report
- Annexure 1
- Internal Incident Investigation Form
- First Aid Register
- PPE Register
- Weekly Site Statistics
11. Emergency Planning
- Emergency Plan
- Evacuation Procedure
- Evacuation Alarms
- Emergency Planning Name List
- Emergency Planning Practice Report
12. Contractors & Sub-contractors
- Agreement with Mandatory
- Project Manager
- Construction Work Supervisor
- Safety Representative
- First Aider
- First Aid Agreement with Principle Contractor
- Deviation Report Register
13. Audit Checklist
- Audit Schedule
14. Mine Health & Safety Act Requirements
- Project Manager
- Production Supervisor
- Plant Manager
- Blasting Manager
- Engineer, etc.
You will see there is a slight overlap between the two; however the Safety Plan is much more condensed than the Safety File. It is almost as if the Plan is an executive summary of the File – although this can be misleading.
A SHE Plan however consists of the following in terms of content (guideline only):
2. Reference Documents
5. Objectives and Targets
6. Planning and procedures
7. Implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Specification
8. Application of the Health and Safety Specification
- Compensation for Occupational Injury and Diseases
- Occupational Health and Safety Policy
- Hazard identification and Risk Assessment
- Health and Safety Committee
- Health and Safety Training
- General Record Keeping
- Emergency procedures
- Hazards and Potentially Hazardous Situations
- Personal Protective Equipment and Clothing
- Safety Signage
- Contractors and Suppliers
9. Health and Safety in Practice
- Explosives and Blasting
- Stacking of materials and housekeeping
- Hazardous Chemical Substances
- Plant and Machinery
a. Health and Safety Policy
b. Hazardous Task Identification
c. Risk Assessment
e. Toolbox talk
f. Audit Schedule
I trust that the difference between the two has now been identified and wish you the best in implementing and maintaining your day-to-day health and safety management system towards zero incidents and harm.
Health and Safety Plan Development Workshop:
Advantage A.C.T has now launched a 3-day workshop called How to Develop a Health and Safety Plan. This workshop will be held a number of times during this year. Please follow the link for more details.
102 Responses to “Differentiating between a SHE File and a SHE Plan”
Leave a Reply
Ever sat through an audit opening meeting and at the end of it asked yourself what just happened? ISO17021:2011 contains guidelines for opening meetings.February 17th, 2014 & Filed in Management Systems
Objectives and Programmes are the tools that you will use to articulate the practical implementation of your SHEQ management system. Here you will decide and plan HOW you are going ...May 15th, 2013 & Filed in Management Systems
Now we come to a very important area in your ISO/OHSAS management system. Many things can and do go wrong here. Issues need your due consideration to prevent easy findings ...April 15th, 2013 & Filed in Management Systems
This month we look Clause 4.4.1: Resources, roles, responsibility, accountability, authority including management commitment and the management representative.February 14th, 2013 & Filed in Management Systems